Monday, February 26, 2007

Back to school... this and that.


Haven't posted in a bit, mostly due to February break. We had a hectic week filled with sledding, swimming, movies, museums, and anything else I coud find to keep a pack of wild kids busy. But they were back to school this morning, and back to the routine here... well kind of.

Today I started watching the infant son of good friends of ours. I will have him 3 days a week for the rest of the school year. It's been a while since we've had a baby in the house, and I must say, as much as I enjoy it, I also appreciate the fact that he's not here 24 hours a day. I don't miss the constant needs of a baby. I don't miss the middle of the night feeding. And I don't miss the blow-out the sides and up the back diapers. I love the fact that I can say "get in the van" and 7 kids get in the van unassisted. I love that fact that all 7 kids can ride bikes with no training wheels, and we can take off for Saturday morning rides together. I love that we can hang out for 7 hours at a wrestling tournament, and the kids can all entertain themselves and be happy as can be for that long a period of time.

And thinking of all this makes me realize how much my baby has grown up. It has hit me hard lately. My little cling-to-my-side Mama's boy has started to dislodge himself from my leg recently. He has willingly gone off to play with a friend in the witing area of Tae Kwon Do class... without draggin me by the hand with him. He is even sleeping every night up in the big boys room with all his brothers... without once coming down to climb in with us. And today, with a new baby in the house, taking up much of my time and attention, Tommy suddenly morphed himself into a big-brother role, and insisted on getting diapers, holding the bottle and entertaining his new little friend all day. So as much as I miss my little baby... I am loving this big guy who is suddenly strutting around my house.

No comments: