Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sweet 16



It's hard to believe, but as of today I have a 16 year old. We had a surprise party saturday night, and a cake and trimmings tonight with the Wednesday night spaghetti crowd, but I still don't think it has sunk in yet. I am clearly no old enough to have a kid that old!

Thinking back over 16 years, though, I don't think a mother could be more proud of a child. As a first born, she has really set the bar here, and will be a tough act to follow for all our kids, but no one could ask for a better role model.

She's mine, it's her birthday, so it gives me the right to brag. This amazing little baby, so incredibly tiny, who walked at just 8 months. Who spoke in sentences at a year old. Who could rock climb with the best of them at 3. Who grabbed the microphone from Fitz at 4 years old to warm up his equiptment, and recorded with him when she was 10. Honor roll every term, captain of ever sport, Varsity as a freshman... and still a down to earth great kid. What more could I say.

The one story that to me sums up her personality is from when we first started talking about Pipo. Kaleigh was just 13, and the only one in the house really old enough to grasp the reality of what we were about to get ourselves into. Before we had made any decisions, we sat Kaleigh down to talk to her about it. Her response was immediate, she couldn't wait to have another brother. We tried to tell her that this would be different than anything else we had done in our lives, that it may mean big changes in our family. We had a heart to heart talk about racism and how it may affect us all. Again, her response was immediate... he is my brother, I won't let anyone say anything about my brother. And then she went and did this. I don't know if you've ever clicked on the link in my sidebar, but Kaleigh's response to all of this was to write a song about racism. I have always been tremendously proud of this kid, but this moment topped them all. It is such a shining example of how passionately, persistently, determinedly she faces every thing in life. She's amazing, and 16 years later, I still can't believe she's mine.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Hi,
Just found your blog and LOVE the photo at the top!!!
Also love Pipo's hair!! Are those dreads?? I am asking because they look like twists?? My son, Osobie, 5 yrs. old, wants dreads like Bob Marley so we are growing out his hair. Just thought I'd see if you could shed some light on the upkeep of your sons' hair. Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Now I can bookmark yours and check in more often.
Take Care,
Katie B.

Kathy Cassel said...

Wow! What an awesome daughter.

Happy bd K.

Mama of 5 said...

Wow, what a wonderful blessing! Of course I'd have to point out it's because of her wonderful parents. And...I love your comment on my blog about going into labor at Target. I'm going to try it since I'm always overdue and induced!
Becky

junglemama said...

Wow! Your daughter is amazing! Happy Birthday!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a wonderful post. Your daughter is a young woman to be proud of! My oldest walked at 8 months old too. Now he's a sophomore in college. I don't know how it went so fast!

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

I still think that you must be the 16 year old in disguise! Otherwise, in my mind, you're too young to have a child that old!

God Bless,
Jane