Saturday, September 20, 2008

Starting the rounds




I've been up since 6:30am... no matter that it's a weekend. After taking the last of the soccer gear, (countless pairs of black socks and black shorts) out of the dryer, I begin to fill water bottles. I just dropped Kaleigh off at the highschool to catch the bus to her varsity game, over an hour away. Fitz and I will spend the day tag teaming, getting the rest of the crew to their various games in various towns. I have boy duty today... Charlie's game is about 40 minutes away, and we lucked out... Pipo and E.J.'s game is on the way home, just off the highway. Fitz will be doing TigerCub duty with Tommy and trekking Margaret to the next town over. And so go our Saturdays.

Why do we do it? We both work hard all week, why spend what could be a rare day off shuffling from one field to another, rushing them all from one game to the next? It would be easy to say we love it, but I'll admit there are those mornings we definitely don't. It would be easy to say the kids love it, and I am pretty sure they do. But the reality is, this is one piece of the puzzle of living in a large family.

I want my kids to be able to do anything they want. But the reality is, 7 kids on a teachers salary doesn't put us in that position. And it's not just money... it's time. If 7 kids were doing 7 different activities, there just wouldn't be time enough in the day, or the week to get them all where they need to be. Soccer is such a great sport... it allows them to be with friends, develop skills, stay fit, learn teamwork and determination... but most of all, it's inexpensive and convenient. Many of them practice on the same field. The schedule is organized with families of multiple children in mind... the games are all staggered throughout the day.

And with that thought... I will load up the van. Game on!

6 comments:

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

What a great picture! And I LOVE the new header pic!

God Bless,
Jane

Mama of 5 said...

I totally agree. We will be in your shoes in a few years. So far only one kid's in soccer. We all get up, get ready and go to the game. I love the picture...so professional looking.
Becky

Kathy Cassel said...

We are fortunate that we play at the new, big city complex about 10-15 min away.

taylorchloejake said...

Great action shot! Your kids are beautiful, all 7 of them!

Chapter Two said...

I love the photo of Pipo! He looks like he knows what he's doing! It's amazing to me to think that our boys might have played soccer together on a field in FdB has God not had other plan for their lives. I feel a sense of connection to you and your family--maybe one day we'll get to visit FdB at the same time.
I feel the pinch of activities on a teacher's salary and the time committment with *just* three kids and only two currently involved in extra curriculars. But, I too, wouldn't deny them opportunities.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I have 3 in soccer. I can SO totally relate!