Monday, August 20, 2007

Not the same...


Well, that time is finally here. I think today we will get one last beach trip in, spend time with some cousins, and head home. School begins a week from tomorrow, and I have done no shopping and the house is in disarray. I dread this day every year, and not because of the bags and bags of laundry we will bring home with us. It's because of the drastic change in routine we will be going through. From the 9 of us spending all of our time together, to the 9 of us heading in different directions with all of our school and sports schedules. I lay in bed this morning thinking about it, debating whether we could squeeze one or two more days of vacation out. But I know I can't make it last forever. It's like ripping a bandaid off. I know it's going to hurt, so it needs to be done fast.

The kids are looking forward to school, and I know there will be many more family meals around the table than there have been lately. We'll all ride our bikes over and watch Kaleigh's soccer games when the high school team is playing at home. But it's just not the same. Not the same as that night the thunderstorm hit so hard that 7 kids came scrambling onto the bus in the middle of the night, giggling and dragging damp sleeping bags, squeezing to find room to sleep. Not the same as laying there, waiting for them to settle down, and listening to the thunder rumble in the distance, listening to 9 bodies all breathing in the same space. It's not the same as all 9 of us going on the boat, and telling the kids they all need to go below while we get under sail. And listening to all those kids laughing down there, looking like cargo in the hold. It's not the same as that beautiful, rare 70 degree August day, where we rented a bike trailer to throw Emma and her crutches in, so all 9 of us could go for a 10 mile bike ride, Fitz and I trailing behind, watching the kids all race ahead yelling to eachother and laughing. It's just not the same.

But we'll rip that bandaid off quickly, and get on with our year. And from time to time, all 9 will sit down to dinner laughing and remembering summer, and well huddle around the couch, looking at photos... and maybe, just maybe it will sometimes feel the same.

4 comments:

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

One of mine starts tomorrow and the other two on Wednesday. I can't begin to tell you how many people keep saying, "Gee, you must be happy that school's finally starting again!" I can only barely crack a smile and mutter some inane response about how the kids enjoy school. What a blessing we have the summers to remind us of why we love our families and spending time together without the *noise* of the world around us. Praying for a smooth re-entry for you all!

Jane

Life in Fitzville said...

Thanks Jane. It really helps to no I'm not the only one feeling like this. I really love your blog title for exactly this reason too... to me it symbolizes exactly how I feel... all of the family together in one big unit. I wouldn't mind sailing off on an ark right about now and avoiding all the upcoming schedules!

Heather said...

Just want to tell you (and Jane) that I feel the exact same way. I hate having this summer end. Just hate it. Intensely. I know that we'll get into a routine and all will be o.k., but I just wish it didn't have to start up again. I know your post resonated cuz I started to get teary reading it. Thanks for the post. Love, Heather

KelseyChristine said...

It sounds like you guys had a beautiful vacation!! I know what you mean about the school year starting up again--everything gets sooo busy.