Monday, June 18, 2007

Escape!

Sunset
I sit here typing on our private patio looking out over Provincetown Harbor. It's been two years since Fitz and I have been away from the kids overnight. My parents offered to watch them tonight so we could have a short escape... an afternoon away, nice dinner, sleeping in a bit. We'll head back after breakfast tomorrow.

So two years... two years with 7 kids. Our heads were racing with thoughts on the way down here. As we pulled into the parking lot of the Provincetown Inn, completely child free, one similar thought came into both of our heads immediately... NAP! Seriously, this parenting stuff, it's exhausting. I was talking with my aunt last night about this little getaway, and she was asking me if I knew of any events going on in Provincetown, or if we had any special plans. I just looked at her a bit dazed, and said "we need a nap." She burst out laughing and said "Oh honey, I SO understand that. My aunt Lolo raised 5 kids also very close in age, so she really does know where we are coming from.

And now, a little more energized from that rare uninterrupted sleep, I wait for Fitz to get out of the shower and wonder... what will we do.. there are so many possibilities. Ah to heck with it, I know what we will do. We will spend dinner talking about the kids, and then call, to check on them. Oh the joys of parenthood!

No comments: