Thursday, June 21, 2007

Late night angry ramble...


Just getting back from the Inn, where my head was spinning with what I wanted to post. I know I won't re-create it here, but I will try my best.

A group of guys came in late night after being at the golf tournament at Nashawtuc all day. They were from the Dominican Republic. I sat watching them throw their money around and talk about the million dollar resort they had helped develop, and I was irrationally angry. To think that there are million dollar resorts just miles from where my son grew up, starving. That people lay around in luxury, and hit golf balls, when just next door mothers struggle to feed their children... it's just unfathomable to me. One of our favorite singers, Kasey Chambers has a song called "Ignorance", with the chorus, "If you're not pissed off at the world, then you're just not paying attention. I've never 'gotten' that song more than I did tonight. I was very pissed off watching and listening to these guys and thinking about my son's homeland. How can it be that in this day in age, right near the coast of the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, there are resorts where the rich and slothful throw their money away? How can a mother be abandoning her child at an orphanage, only because she can't feed it, when only miles away, someone is laying on the beach sipping a Margarita? Yeah... I'm pissed off tonight.

3 comments:

SJ said...

I'm so sorry you had to listen to that :( Thank you for writing out your feelings here. Definitely made me think about certain things . . .

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

I know just what you mean, Denise! A few weeks before our Ethiopian kids came home, we stopped at a local Taco Bell and for some unknown reason, I decided to "run in" and pick up tacos rather than go to the drive-thru. Well, while I was in there, I was treated to the most unpleasant display by a woman who had been terribly wronged by the use of a soft shell rather than a hard shell for her taco (or vice versa, I was so shocked by her behavior I think I blocked out the details). Anyway, the woman (who was clearly NOT starving)chewed out the clerk while I stood there slack-jawed and praying for all those children in Ethiopia whose families would have been thrilled to have ANY food to feed their families. She was in, ranted and left me with my head spinning. I still think of that episode from time to time.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I know what you mean too. I see it right here in my own country, as a matter of fact. When I drive from my school (wealthy kids, where sometimes the kindergarteners have cell phones and getting picked up in a limo happens on occasion) to the Walmart or just come home I see it. When I realize my sons lost their families because they were hungry, I see it. It makes me angry and breaks me heart.